Fixin a Ronnie Russell Stroker..

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks LA, couldnt agree more!

SO i think it goes without saying Betsy is never going out of the family, and wanted to share another family project were close to finishing. Its a 66 c-10 that has a 327 with a tko600 5speed, (clocking the bellhousing today) and although not original, totally original to 1966. ALl the stuff in the cab now works, re-wired the entire thing and undercarriage, totally new and should ride real smooth on a sweet air ride suspension..Lots of time on our backs in that garage and hope to add a 409 to it someday....

Attachments

• 20171202_164357[1].jpg
    20171202_164357[1].jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20171202_175200.jpg
    20171202_175200.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20171202_175224.jpg
    20171202_175224.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20171202_175242.jpg
    20171202_175242.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20171202_175141.jpg
    20171202_175141.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 22
  • 20171202_175342.jpg
    20171202_175342.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20171202_175256.jpg
    20171202_175256.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Funny, heres an old video of the kids working. We had a competition, who could build their cars first. The 1960 austin healey, all done in house and the 64 impala. The healey is done, the 64 is after the truck. We have 4 cool cars, 4 kids. they all end up with one!

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:appl:appl:bowYou're raising them RIGHT,Kurt!!!!:appl

Thanks Don! Wish you guys were here to wake them up, work to do!! HA!

Just ordered the comp rockers and will post our truck progress today. Were learning how to clock the bell-housing to the block, the new tremecs call for it.. Question, when we take off the clutch bolts, can we re-use them and should we use red-locker on them? After that, shes done.. Everything else works, at the moment :>)

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I believe ultra version rocker is lighter over the nose and a better choice if you are racing

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, were just waiting for parts and will throw Betsy back together. Q, when the new rockers arrive, should we soak them in a bucket of fresh oil and should we use clevite on the tips of the rods? Trying to prevent dry start...

We literally spend the entire day yesterday trying to clock a bellhousing on our c-10, omg!!!! Its the friggen articulating arm that you mount on the flywheel and getting that to come through the bellhousing center hole and make a rotation, holy crap what a pain! We spent 3-4 hours on that alone!! The one we have is the first link and by 7pm, we had made our first measurements, popped out the old pins, put in the offsets, and now cant get it to let us re-measure! Ended up buying the second one in the second link for $75, but if it stops me from swearing its worth it!.

We also have a hydromax clutch that we also measured to insure it installs right. It calls for clearance to be within .15 from the fingers to the clutch. We measured from our bellhousing opening to the fingers, then the trans to the top of the clutch and were a little surprised it didn't need any shims, so now just waiting for our new dial...Long weekend of fun....

Heres a vid of avery who helped. Growing fast... You can see we welded in some weldnutz that will hold our new tunnel cover for the tko600...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...Qfv_Sqnb2Mmn1ooyKehTvOBOT_9SLaqwaAp_lEALw_wcB

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cbi-56413/overview/

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi LA, yup you got it.. Took a little liberty with jeannes permission slip to make our rides safe and reliable but hey, that's what makes us happy. :winner.. I'll post a better pic when we get the trans back in once the new dial indicator arrives. Everyone in the house just loves cars. My wofe Jeanne, shes an ICU nurse and jokes she knows how to rebuild carbs too, ha!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I was just thinking about your feet if you or someone was going to be stepping on it and banging gears.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I was just thinking about your feet if you or someone was going to be stepping on it and banging gears.

So this one will be basically be a daily driver. Having said that, we build them to use them, so its for sure going through some tires :>), the kids love smokey burnouts, ha! That pic I posted earlier with my in-laws, we did a few with Betsy and they were over the moon, hahaha. You should have seen my father in-laws face, lit up and was glowing the same time my mother in-law was grabbing for an imaginary handle, hahahaha. They love racing, watch and play the fantasy league on Nascar racing so a ton of fun for them...

We do have that 327 in the truck now and from what I could find, only offered up to a 327 for that year... The driveline is set up for something bigger, so if we go that path, were breaking the rules, but hey, its all about having fun... 409 or 427 will be a great replacement im thinkin...

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
You are going to use a scattersheild right??? I have one that was on my 09 if you need one! After seeing a GTO buddy in the 70s grenade a clutch I bought one for the 09 that week.

Thats wicked cool, and THANK YOU for the offer! We do have one and will for sure use it. Didnt realize how unsafe it would be without it...

Another rookie move.. Me and Avery were pulling the trans off and didnt pull that first, ha! Well, we learned quick as shit that me holding a trans up, straddling it through the hub hole and him under the truck balancing the trans with a jack in one hand and the other disconnecting scattershield bolts aint so smart :>)....

Good news, betsy's rockers should be here tomorrow and the new dial indicator on thurs.. Busy weekend on the way for us, so if theres anyone close to NH and wants to party, theres one in our garage and were pushing to have the truck and betsy moving.. :>)

396253_2509637181346_1265581616_31955039_458126035_n.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have had to use a torch and a sledge hammer to get a scatter shield off after a flywheel exploded.... not a pretty sight.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Thats wicked cool, and THANK YOU for the offer! We do have one and will for sure use it. Didnt realize how unsafe it would be without it...

Another rookie move.. Me and Avery were pulling the trans off and didnt pull that first, ha! Well, we learned quick as shit that me holding a trans up, straddling it through the hub hole and him under the truck balancing the trans with a jack in one hand and the other disconnecting scattershield bolts aint so smart :>)....

Good news, betsy's rockers should be here tomorrow and the new dial indicator on thurs.. Busy weekend on the way for us, so if theres anyone close to NH and wants to party, theres one in our garage and were pushing to have the truck and betsy moving.. :>)

View attachment 57317
Where abouts in NH????????