Hei Distributor on a 348 motor

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Just my opinion but I would change out that flex fan for a factory style clutch fan and make up a shroud to work with your aluminum radiator. The fan blade should be as close to half in and half out of the shroud as possible. That will help A LOT with keeping it cool out in the desert. Those flex fans can cause a lot of damage WHEN they break, and it will definitely be a matter of when it breaks, not if it will break. I had one break apart on my 1966 Chevelle it sliced right through an original SS hood like a can opener and another piece went flying through the radiator.

Not a fan of the glass fuel filter, there is a reason that no manufacturer uses them. They can break and create a fire hazzard.
I am in no way trying to nit pick the car just pointing out a couple things you may or may not want to address.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello ragtop66 dont worry about giving your opinion..if it could help me out I appreciate anything that helps out..I though that one was the original one lol it has a clutch on it I also have an electric fan as well on the front radiator I just bought some valve cover hopefully when I get them I'm gonna do oil change and try to fix everything wrong with the motor still runs strong but I have issues here and there eventually I'm gonna redew everything on it...it just I want to enjoy it for a little... but thank for you help and opinion...also I have the fan shroud but I thought in putting electric fans on the side where the fan is at as well...

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No its hook up to the brake booster I never even realized that either did never think about that I'm the one who put disc brakes on it also that my mistake...I had that wrong also back carb should been to brake booster and the front to intake that the way I have it on my 1974 impala with a 350motor now will it fall under the same with 348...

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone I have a question.so the intake manifold is supposed to hook up where I thought the power brake line should be hooked up the the back of carb I have elderbrock carb....If I not wrong the front of carb to pcv.but since I dont have one I have it plugged up or what am I doing wrong please let me know thanks

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That sounds correct.
Rear carburetor to the brake booster and the front to the PCV if you have one and plugged if not.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Where do I hook up the one on the intake or do I plugged it or could I hook it up to the front of carb..appreciate ur help

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It wont affects anything being plug on the intake..also where is that orignaly supposed to be hook up too.thank u

Last edited:

floyd

Well Known Member
If I remember the port on the back of the intake manifold was for the brake booster.You can hook up to the rear of the carb.The pcv is on the front of carb with constant vacuum ,the other port for distributor.If running open air filter,you can run two pcv to carb.Electric fan all the way,puller work the best.I run one on my nova,haul ass all day long,never over heats.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Floyd I dont got no pcv on my motor it's a 348 I changed the valve covers dont got no port...when you say puller what do you mean by that please let me know thank you

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
He's talking about the electric cooling fan being mounted behind the radiator in place of the engine driven fan. There was no PCV valve on these engines until about 62 unless special ordered.Starting in 62 or 63 it became federally mandated on all cars.

floyd

Well Known Member
Electric fan goes between motor and radiator,pulling air through radiator.They make baffle kits for your valve covers.Very important to extract those gases out,so it doesnt contaminate your oil,and dont have crank case pressure.

Jaime arias

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Floyd could the intake port be plug somewhere else..also I called summit for that baffle kit and they said I would have to weld it in the inside of valve cover dose that sound right...I'm trying to get this smoke to stop coming out of my oil breather cap and dip stick...I drive it and it get hot and it smokes the motor has alot of power but the only thing killing me is the smoke please let me know if there other sources to stop the smoke ....thanks

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you have smoke coming out of the breather and dipstick tube,you have BIGGER issues than whether the car has a PCV hooked up or not.You have a worn engine[rings,pistons,cyl.walls].A very temporary "Bandaid" would be to use heavy[50wt.] oil in the engine,but this engine at the very least needs an overhaul,most likely a full rebuild.:deal