Man ol man.

wristpin

Well Known Member
Liquid under pressure when suddenly exposed to significantly less pressure can flash to a vapor state until pressure is equalized. Liguid subjucted to rapid changes in direction can also temporarily flash to its vapor state

wristpin

Well Known Member
I'm glad we did not have to deal with those pressures on a regular basis. Water hammer and cavitation were our nemesis.
Water hammer or slug of water traveling at 900mph impacting a turn or closed valve will catch your attention. Cavitation within a 4 stage 2500psi turbine driven pump makes your hair stand on end.
Some of the equipment we play with is pretty amazing.
Had a 5,000HP electric motor on a refrigeration system that went from stopped to 5,000rpm in about 1 second. Liquid freon within the compressor on start up was considered "Bad".

wristpin

Well Known Member
They will. Sometimes it can be heard, other times it's out of hearing range like a dog whistle. A broomstick handle was kept handy to help look for steam leaks. Never look for a high pressure leak with your hands. At 1250psi and 1050°F mistakes are painful. Safety valves lifted at 1320psi then 1380psi. Loudest noise I've ever experianced was 16" guns on USS New Jersey, next loudest was thos damn safeties.

wristpin

Well Known Member
We sure did digress.
Automotive fuel systems work best with a constant and steady supply of fuel volume and pressure to the carb, injector nozzle, throttle body or whatever other system is utilized. The return portion of the fuel system is as important as the supply system. The only real way to ensure constant and steady fuel supply is a properly sized pressure guage or recording system. How many times have you seen a 0-100psi guage utilized on a system requiring 8psi? Accuracy of +-5% full guage pressure means the pressure can read 3psig to 13psig and be correct. Maybe a 0-15psig is a better range.
Hope that makes up for prior digression into the past.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
We sure did digress.
Automotive fuel systems work best with a constant and steady supply of fuel volume and pressure to the carb, injector nozzle, throttle body or whatever other system is utilized. The return portion of the fuel system is as important as the supply system. The only real way to ensure constant and steady fuel supply is a properly sized pressure gsizedor recording system. How many times have you seen a 0-100psi guage utilized on a system requiring 8psi? Accuracy of +-5% full guage pressure means the pressure can read 3psig to 13psig and be correct. Maybe a 0-15psig is a better range.
Hope that makes up for prior digression into the past.
I'll settle on 3-8psi.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Yes, you can't simplify the water system or the fuel system requirements looking at just one aspect. The other side of the equation is volume. Maybe more important. The pressure in the fuel system is like the amperage in the electrical system, that's what gets things moving. As little as three psi is enough to deliver the volume needed for short periods of time to overcome the G forces working against the fuel system to keep your engine happy. The reason, and there are many, that I choose the bypass system had a lot to do with my understanding these principles. Having the regulator behind the carburetors and the fuel line coming in from in front of the carburetors assures delivering fuel during acceleration. You just need a pump capable of pushing enough fuel to keep the engine happy for the high G forces created during launch. I could go on much longer but I know for me my fuel system will be up to the task. Not just me, Holly engineers too! My class II EPA license is but a speck of dust compared to the engineers that designed these fuel systems and like Ricky said, "Getting that class II license can be a bear!"