Metal project: Jeep Frame build

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If Oregon was closer to PA I could loan you an original skinny set from a Wrangler sport. :dunno I wonder if your local wrecking yard could loan you some for a few hrs. :dunno:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
If Oregon was closer to PA I could loan you an original skinny set from a Wrangler sport. :dunno I wonder if your local wrecking yard could loan you some for a few hrs. :dunno:dunno

Can you ship them? :D I'll just bite the bullet and buy some. I just want to put this nightmare behind me quickly. Going to hit the local yard tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Nice thing is, many years and models of Jeep interchange. It has a 5 x 4.5 lug pattern so perhaps even Ford?

Quick check shows these:
YJ – 87-95, Cherokee 84-01, Liberty 02-07, TJ 96-06, Grand Cherokee 92-98

bobs409

Administrator
I gotta re-think this! I just found brand new wheels for $49.99ea free ship.

I don't think I can keep my 32 x 12.50's and get them under the wheel flares but maybe I'll just sell these off and put something smaller with the correct back spacing.

The wheels that are on here really do stick out, must have negative backspace?

Just another choice to consider! :facepalm

https://www.quadratec.com/p/tactik/circle-8-classic-classic-wheel-wrangler-yj-tj

bobs409

Administrator
Well just like all my other idea's, forget it! Turns out the wheels I have are the same ones in that link and they only have that 1 back space size. These are 15 x 8 with a 4 inch back space. I measured the Jeep and my tread is sticking out 2.5 inches past the flare. (3.5 with sidewall but they don't count that, how generous of them)

From what I can find, I think the stock wheels are 15 x 7 with a 5.5 backspace. If you look at a stock Jeep w/stock wheels & tires, it looks to me like it's already at it's stick out limit! WTF!?!

I was going to try and do the right thing and swap on some "legal" sized wheels and tires but it would be a huge gamble picking the correct ones. Anything over stock would be questionable! I'm not playing games with $700+ dollars.

I've owned this Jeep for 6 years now. I have never been pulled over (yet) so I guess I'll have to take my chances with using these. Just keep a spare smaller set for inspections and swap 'em back on again! If I ever get pulled over, that's gonna put me back into this whole mess again possibly with a fine to boot but I don't know what else to do. My head is about ready to explode from searching the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody wanna buy a Jeep? Great in the snow!!! :plow

bobs409

Administrator
Oh yeah, here's a stock Jeep with stock tires. To me it looks like the edge of the wheel flare would be sitting about at the edge of the tread. So if true, you can't go with anything wider without moving the wheel in with more offset or backspace. (I think I'm saying that right) Problem is, then the tires would be hitting everything under the Jeep! WTH!?

jeep-wrangler-yj-EF6M5H.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
I wouldn't bother with those anyway.

I hit a big fat goose egg at the junkyard today. I can see why I don't bother going junk yarding anymore. Nothing changed! Same garbage as last year.

You would think I could find some wheels for a damn Jeep but no. They had none off except a big pile of unmarked wheels and I walked around checking all the Jeeps and even the small Fords and Dodges but all I could find was an occasional single wheel and usually in lousy condition. Add to that there are a few different styles in those years so finding 4 that all matched was a joke!

So I thought maybe I'll consider new wheels again. Problem is, so far I have not found any with a 5.5 backspace! Would have liked some type of steel rally wheel since some Ford and Chrysler used the 5 on 4.5 but can't find the right backspace. It is available in a 15 x 10 but that's too wide!

I'm going to go completely insane soon! 2 full days & soon to be 2 nights wasted on this crap!

bobs409

Administrator
Don't think that would work James. :D (or I should say, they probably wouldn't let me get away with it)

I am happy to report that after 2 solid days of searching, I found my wheels. Nothing much to look at (none of the original wheels were) but they have been powder coated anyhow.

Found them on ebay for $39.99 each w/free shipping. Every other refinished wheel I could find were at least $59-95 each! I could not find any good used ones even on Craigslist unless I wanted to drive to the next state! (which I do not!)

s-l1600.png

Not the best pic but it gives the idea. At this point, I'm ready to take anything!!! My head is killing me again. (sinus problems but all this stress and net searching isn't helping!)

I have literally been all over the stinkin' net! I even researched having custom wheels made. My preference would be a Corvette style rally with the correct dimensions to fit my needs. It turns out that Wheel Vintique makes them and offers custom back spacing but not sure on how much that would cost.

So next I have to decide on tires. (oh my head!) I could possibly find some used ones to pop on there OR perhaps I could find some nice new knobby 30-31 inchers of maybe 9.50 - 10.50 in width? Since my Jeep is lifted, I don't want to go any lower than 30. I have 32's on it now, it's just the width that is the problem, they are 12.50's. Decisions, decisions...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you go back to the stock size or max.one size bigger that jeep will work a lot better.There's a reason that the state don't want rubber hanging out side the fenders,it's dangerous to other drivers in the wet.You damn sure don't need anything in the height range you're talking about especially with that 4 banger under the hood.

bobs409

Administrator
I had considered changing the 4.10's out for 4.88's to help with the tall tires. I think I might just go down to 30's and call that good enough. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Well, I just pulled the trigger on some new meats! Love the aggressive look. :alarmed

See them here:
https://www.amazon.com/Crosswind-Mu...ds=30x9.50x15+mud+tires&qid=1602011677&sr=8-3

All I gotta say is THEY BETTER FIT THE JEEP CORRECTLY!!! This is the one thing I wanted to avoid (the uncertainty) but the stock wheels should put them where they need to be. If not, I give up! :thud

Now to find a buyer for my others... Oh the fun just keeps on going... :rolleyes

This little debacle just cost me $620.03 dollars! Maybe more if I can't mount the tires myself. (6 ply's)