New build 62 Impala SS

Gerry A

I am new here and trying to get caught up on things. I went through your posts this morning and wondering if you got the transmission fit issue resolved. The trans in the photo looks like the 64 and later unit which has a longer output housing. I may be mistaken, but I believe the input and output splines in 62 and 63 were different than 64 and later. I am pretty sure on the output splines; changed from 16T to 21T. And I believe the input was also different. The first aluminum glides were the same length and splines as the cast iron glide. Now I could be wrong as this is from memory. I converted a cast iron to aluminum recently but to get a direct interchange I had to locate a 62 or 63 unit. The one in the photo is a 63 trans I located.

Attachments

• DSC07982.JPG
    DSC07982.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 39

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Gerry A, great to have you on the Forum, nice photo of your drive train, whats it going to go in?.
Thanks for reaching out to help, it was just a simple error on my part, every thing hooked up after I assest things. Im now going with a 4spd, so we'll see how that goes. Enjoy the site. stan

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well back at it again, started working on the SS Impala again, decided to do something Easy.... hahahaha... like take off the stainless, the last owner had left it all on, I see why. What a bitch... I don't know for sure but I think the back window must have been put on by the factory, it had more putty than Home Depot has to sell stuffed in it. Took me
almost 3 days, my first time really taking stainless off, I did have the right tools, had to be careful as the rear window was good and wanted to save it. After much cussing, reading the Manual... figured that some of the stainless had nuts to be taken off, from underneath, inside, etc. learned that a sharp razor blades to cut the old rubber was a good idea too. Well its been a learning curve to say the least, the nice part is that it comes off in half, the first half, is a bitch, the second, is much easier, knowledge, I guess. Well my plan is to get it ready, striped down to take to the sandman, then get the floor and rockers finally finished. I have to keep moving on this, I hate to quit in the middle, just isn't me.
100_3864.jpeg

100_3863.jpeg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You have to have your tongue sticking out and to the side ,in order to get it off.:rollJust think, if you did not have that 62 project you would be setting in the house looking at the four wall's.:bang .Maybe even drinking!!!!! :teehee

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Dang, I should have thought of that.....after a hard day of "stainless work, I do slip over to my favorite "fridge" and grab
me a cold Mountain Fresh... Rainier Beer. Today finished up getting all stainless off SS car, now only have rear side
windows to remove, headliner bows, and both front and back glass. Then she's ready for the blaster.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I'm quite lucky to have a friend that worked his life in the Chrome and Buffing Buisness, he's now retired but my other buddy bought a old time profession buffer and restored it, he uses it and does our buffing at a really great price. I was lucky to have all the parts left on the car and in excellent shape. Today might tackle taking the
bumpers apart, I can then take them along to the sandblaster when I go.

ce.100_3866.jpeg

100_3865.jpeg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just. finished up taking the rear bumper apart, I was surprised at how easy they came apart, Im going to have the 3 sections re-chromed because they are in good condition, will also have the sandblaster do the long heavy back side middle section, and I'll do the rest of the sandblasting of the bumper small parts. Just trying to get things ready to make one trip up and back, its about 40 miles one way.
What are you working on"? cash

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just. finished up taking the rear bumper apart, I was surprised at how easy they came apart, Im going to have the 3 sections re-chromed because they are in good condition, will also have the sandblaster do the long heavy back side middle section, and I'll do the rest of the sandblasting of the bumper small parts. Just trying to get things ready to make one trip up and back, its about 40 miles one way.
What are you working on"? cash

If you mean me, I started putting my lift in today with the help of my son. Taking the Crusher to the front end shop tomorrow for new stuff.