Passion Polly: 61 in Erath County Texas

Shaark92

Well Known Member
Holler at me if you get close to Fort Worth so I can see this beauty. Kent ,817-653-0202. Good luck with the gremlins too.
haven't forgotten about ya.

we are having to fabricate for the front sway bar. After putting slightly taller/heavier springs on the rear, it raised the height more than I thought it would ... moved the front coil-overs higher, but then the directional control has become a problem. So ... we're looking to put a "block" between the frame and the sway bar so it'll clear the larger radiator AND build a spacer on the left arm of the sway bar to clear the shuttle of the rack/pinion steering. will grind/dress the rear springs to make them about an inch shorter. The rear skirt wasn't even covering the rear white letters at the top of the tire.

But I think we finally have the mechanicals/engine fixed. Won't really be confident until I put a few tanks through it. ended up needing a higher pressure fuel pump. so now I have a frame-mount fuel pump, too.

everything is taking SOOOO long to get parts ... chew on another problem ... order more stuff ... wait. get back in line when the parts ship/arrive.

But ... she'll be done when she's done and not a MINUTE before!

Shaark92

Well Known Member
GLORY be to the One who started all this. Had to march around Jericho a couple times ... with the musicians out front ... but today we took delivery of Polly and drove almost two hours straight w/o a hiccup.

Many thanks to the fam who met us at the shop to get the pix ... and video.

The driveway accentuates the "rake" stance a bit, but we're not bottoming-out like the springs from Ride Tech did. I am told they'll compress 1/4 - 1/2" over about 1000 miles of driving ... so that'll be just about right. I might expedite that with adding weight to the trunk.

Attachments

• F3116FC0-9334-4F27-900D-43C262B4E7A0.jpeg
    F3116FC0-9334-4F27-900D-43C262B4E7A0.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 4A0DE80C-A5F4-4023-866B-EDAD01D29F8D.jpeg
    4A0DE80C-A5F4-4023-866B-EDAD01D29F8D.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 47

Shaark92

Well Known Member
Car looks great. What are you using for rear lower control arms and the spring pockets ?

thank you.

just Ride Tech's coil-over kit ... though when I purchased they had coil overs only for the front, so the OEM configuration for the rear. they've since added coil-overs for the rear and I tried those, but couldn't install 'em. They didn't fit the upper keeper! (of their own kit) sigh.

I may have written to this earlier, but one thing I learned about doing a resto-mod ... each mod "thinks" it's the only mod. Ride Tech's rear sway bar didn't fit the John's Industrie rear end. I'm generally pleased with the suspension, but the kit DID lower the body and I didn't want that. We tried raising the front end with the spanner wrench, but there wasn't enough travel. Now with slightly taller & heavier springs, the rear sits a little higher than stock empty. But loaded it doesn't bottom out as it did with the ride-tech springs. Body roll control is far superior to the OEM ... not that Polly will compete in a slalom, but there are plenty of "in the wild" roads which would quickly get dicey even driving normally.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Hey I waved at you yesterday. You were headed north on 281 and I was walking out of the post office. I was going to follow you and get you to stop and talk, but got hung up on the red light and did not know where you went. Maybe next time.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Shaark92

Well Known Member
WHEW ... well ... the project has thrown me another curveball.

Somewhere between the build of the transmission and the TV cable linkage/install ... and 800 miles ... the "built" 700r4 has failed. Polly is at the trans shop now where the 700r4"SS" will be removed, rebuilt, and reinstalled hopefully by the end of next week.

After my last post here, intended to use the week for progressively longer day trips, culminating in a run to San Antonio ... Lackland AFB to meet an air force buddy and see if I could talk my way onto base to get a pict with their A-10 on a stick.

we didn't make the first day of a 150 mile round trip ... tranny wouldn't shift out of first gear. So another couple thou and a few more weeks. Mercy.

Snake bit is becoming the phrase.

Shaark92

Well Known Member
Is it time for that third pedal??? :burnout

The thought definitely crossed my mind!

Back in the 80s ... 85 IIRC ... we pulled the powerglide which shelled out inside a month of the overhaul there ... found a 60 and removed the 3 speed from it, installed a mario andretti named speed shifter. Nearly caught the car afire with a torch cutting a hole in the floor! :P

used a Ubolt which held the UJoint into the driveshaft as the bell crank retainer on the frame. LOL. Resto shop was impressed with THAT!

If I go manual, it'll be a 4 speed. really low first gear for any parade type activity. ;)

would really like this 700r4 to work, though.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The thought definitely crossed my mind!

Back in the 80s ... 85 IIRC ... we pulled the powerglide which shelled out inside a month of the overhaul there ... found a 60 and removed the 3 speed from it, installed a mario andretti named speed shifter. Nearly caught the car afire with a torch cutting a hole in the floor! :P

used a Ubolt which held the UJoint into the driveshaft as the bell crank retainer on the frame. LOL. Resto shop was impressed with THAT!

If I go manual, it'll be a 4 speed. really low first gear for any parade type activity. ;)

would really like this 700r4 to work, though.
:good

Shaark92

Well Known Member
@heddrik

Kent, my intention was to call ya yesterday to see about your availability in the afternoon. That intention included taking Polly to Keller for an event ... but

she laid-down again. Something is "telling" the Sniper to cut fuel ... so I think it's time to cut the Sniper. I'll live with 3 minute warmup on a carb. Looking at an Edelbrock 1411. That seems to be a decent match to the CFM rating of the Sniper on this 383 from Blueprint:

10:1 compression ratio, 383 stroker. 64cc chamber

2.02" intake/1.60" exhaust valves

195cc intake/75cc exhaust runners. Cam Type: Roller

.544 Intake .555 Exhaust

230 Intake / 236 Exhaust duration

@ .050, 110 ° lobe separation angle

Last time Polly was in the shop to address this, I bought a single plane intake. Wonder how well an Edelbrock 1411 will function on a torker 2 intake or will I need to reinstall the Blueprint dual plane intake? removing the intake will involve pulling the new Holly hyperspark distributor, too.

I'm pretty sure the over voltage from the Ft. Worth interior shop last October is still playing havoc. It's just frustrating. As I mentioned previously, she ran great from Weatherford back home. She was running great for this trip to the metromess ... including a 20 minute sit on US 67 at Cleburne for single lane operations (yeah, it was a relatively extensive delay) ... but making the flyover from 820 East to the Davis exit, I noticed the sniper display fuel-air mixture flashed yellow w/o a sudden move to idle on the throttle.

uh oh.

Sure enough ... the intermittant yellow and upper teens on the mix became intermittent red with 20 plus ... and then the sputter. I was able to make use of an oil/gas driveway (it was VERY nice) ... 20' wide concrete a couple hundred feet off of Davis Ave. Called the wifee (who had me hitch the trailer just in case) ... and off she went to bring me the truck/trailer/winch/lashings. (straps, not verbal! :P )

So while I'm frustrated, again, about the car's lacking dependability, I'm thankful I was able to get Polly home relatively quickly. Wifee's response was as good as any typical wrecker.

saga continues. stay tuned for scenes from next (month's?) episode ...