SBC vs. 409

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The red 62 impala had a 327/300hp when I purchased it. I also purchased the 409/409 at the same time.

The 409/409 has much more WOW factor and value (16000.00) according too most value tools.

When the car had the 327/300hp motor it was just a car. After the install of the 409/409 the car brought more attention and value.

Since money isn't a factor I would go with the 409/409 and as mentioned above your not going too be adjusting the rocker's that often since the amount of drive time is mostly a Sunday drive or car shows.

Plus if you do not want too adjust rockers change it over too roller rockers and just be happy and enjoy your hot rod!!!!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The red 62 impala had a 327/300hp when I purchased it. I also purchased the 409/409 at the same time.

The 409/409 has much more WOW factor and value (16000.00) according too most value tools.

When the car had the 327/300hp motor it was just a car. After the install of the 409/409 the car brought more attention and value.

Since money isn't a factor I would go with the 409/409 and as mentioned above your not going too be adjusting the rocker's that often since the amount of drive time is mostly a Sunday drive or car shows.

Plus if you do not want too adjust rockers change it over too roller rockers and just be happy and enjoy your hot rod!!!!!

You're exactly right on the 409 adding value however your $16000 figure from online valuation tools applies to REAL 409 cars not clones. My guestimate would be closer to $5000-$10000 for good clones. Again it's down to what someone will pay.

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
I found out my 409 is a TO315QA but it has 63 dual quad set up manifold carbs match engine matches vin number on body, because it is a QA rather than QB is it no longer matching numbers car? vin 31211f241971

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
the pad has the same last numbers as the vin starting with F241971 then the TO315QA tried to get photos but only the TO315QA shows up well. The block number behind the distributor is definately a 1963 block number. 3830814 The date code only says CFM,

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
IMO Micheal,your car/engine are "numbers matching' but with the induction system it's not "numbers correct" In order to be both,you';d need the correct air cleaner assembly,carb.and intake manifold.That being said,it's your car,run it the way you want.Unless it's a "show only" car where "points" are the primary concern leave it alone.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
the pad has the same last numbers as the vin starting with F241971 then the TO315QA tried to get photos but only the TO315QA shows up well. The block number behind the distributor is definately a 1963 block number. 3830814 The date code only says CFM,
Your car in my opnion is a numbers matching car as there was only ONE block stamped with that partial vin # and you have it. Even though your car does not have the right induction set up on it, you can find the correct parts with a date code in the range that would be right for when your car was built. A car with the correct engine block and transmission possess the most important parts of being a numbers matching car. A true ALL numbers matching car is few and far between as almost every part had a date code on them, even the diodes in the alternator had a date silk screened on them.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
One more thing, there are many different levels of a numbers matching car (70%, 80%, 90% etc.) but they all start with having the numbers matching engine block. You have the MOST important piece of a numbers matching car, take care of that block as you have one of a few cars left with the real engine!!

Michael Cohen

Supporting Member 1
Thanks guys feeling a little better about the car. My mechanic does have the 400 hp manifold at his shop so i could sell a set up to make it like it was from the factory. I would hate to break up a match set of Carter's but that is an option.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Just be aware that there were 2 intakes for the 400 hp engines.There's the 62-early 63 intake and the late 63-65 intake.The early one didn't have the provisions for power brakes,the other one did.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks guys feeling a little better about the car. My mechanic does have the 400 hp manifold at his shop so i could sell a set up to make it like it was from the factory. I would hate to break up a match set of Carter's but that is an option.

I wouldn't change it, at most have the intake available if someone wants it. Like said earlier, the important part is the original block.