The Impala Shop

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Congrats Brian,I'm sure you'll do great with the quality of work I've seen in your own projects.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thought I would give an update. Been working at the shop for the past couple weeks trying to get it ready for the city inspection. They are requiring so many things that they just incorporated the end of last year.
First is 1 parking space for every 300sq. ft. of floor space! That's 13 marked parking spaces that will have to be put in. To top it off, it can only be on an asphalt or concrete surface.

Well, I had a guy come out and re-grade the entire property yesterday because of a drainage issue. He also cut down and ground down an extremely large tree stump next to the building. that stump was over 5 foot wide at the base! Had to remove it to get an extra parking space where it was at. He is returning this weekend to cut down the entire front entrance and halfway down one side to the concrete pad for the bay doors. On Monday he is going to pave the front entrance and down the side so I can get enough parking spaces. I'm gonna have to use the concrete pad in front of the bay doors to mark parking space as well.

I have been working on the inside while all of this has been going on. Installing doors that the previous guy took with him, replacing half of the ceiling tiles (I guess he took those too), repairing a bunch of sheetrock, electrical wiring and many other things.

The previous guy had a tile and countertop business and was cutting and grinding granite in the shop area. Well, let's just say that he must have never swept the place out. I have been sweeping and vacuuming all week just to get rid of it and have only gotten half of the front offices done. The shop is even worse.

The good thing is I am almost done with the repairs. As soon as the parking spaces are in I can call for the inspection, which will take another 5 - 10 days....... While I am waiting for them to come out, I have to put up a privacy fence around one side and the back of the building since it will be used for storing parts cars.

Hopefully it will pass the inspection and I can move forward to working on customers cars and make some money to pay for all of these repairs.

bobs409

Administrator
It's a shame the nonsense that one must go through in this day and age. It's amazing anyone is in business. :rolleyes: Did they mention how many rolls of toilet paper you need for the ladies room? I'm sure there MUST be a requirement on that too!

Good luck to you and your wallet Brian. With all the hoops to jump through, you'll need it. If there's a way to seperate you from your money, there some "agency" or "regulation" out there that can do it. :evil

:D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good luck with the inspections

Brian:

That is a lot of prep work just to open the doors! Being the owner of building lots in a city with strict inspections, I am too familiar with the local requirements in terms of storm water drainage and general construction. I suspect you are about to get familiar with those in Denton as well :).

I forgot, did you purchase or rent this facility? If rented, how does that work out (if I may ask) in terms of what you have to pay for and what some owner pays for? I suspect that grading and the resurfacing can get expensive.

On the other hand, when you are done with the prep work, you will really benefit from the improvements.

Another question (sounds like I'm putting my nose in your tent): What is the going rate for shop work in your area? Does it vary with the task (painting, wrenching, etc.)? And do you bid things firm, or just go with the hourly rate and an estimate?

Cheers!

TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:bang Unfortunly you are about to find that as a business owner,every time you turn around there will be some person from a local,state or federal government :cuss standing there with thier hand out for MONEY:eek::evil.Best of luck,you'll be fine.:coffee:

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Where do I start?

I guess best of luck should head the list, couldn't happen to a nicer guy:bow. I knew him when(thats good Dick). Best ribeye I ever had. Probably have to have 20% handicap parking spaces, at least one for Phil (in front of a door), although I wouldn't push pin that address:nono1:, let him search for it. One 40 ton space for me.

Those interviews will be the best thing for the business. Our local paper alwats interviewed and published a new business which started mine off really well then word of mouth done the rest.

How about putting out a want or need list? I probably got something I could donate that you could use.

Swammi says "I see many many board sanders in your future.......................and probably your first hire":roll:roll:roll

:crazy

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Brian, a want or need list is a good idea. I have been in business for quite a while and I have updated my equipment many times. If I have somthing you need a deal can be made. Let me know your list. Brian

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Al!

I got the CO today!!!! Since that is finally done, I can start moving everything in, but only after I get the roof sprayed with foam insulation and the epoxy floor is down. Hopefully that will take place next week.

Now I need to go on a buying frenzy to get equipment and inventory in. I purchased a huge blast cabinet (58"x36"x28" inside working area). I bought a big one because I hate using pressure blasters. They make too much of a mess. I need to schedule the lift install tomorrow. He lives down the road from the shop and can probably get it in this weekend. A couple months ago I bought a low end plasma cutter and it died on the second car. I returned it and just bought a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 with all the bells and whistles. It's rated at 1/2" and can cut up to 1 1/8". Looking for a 7.5 hp compressor (only have 230 single phase power) and Barry Taylor may be able to provide it.

I have so many things to do now, my head is swimming. The hardest part is moving my house to the shop. My 2 1/2 car garage barely has enough room for 1 car, my shed is stuffed, outside storage areas are over flowing into the yard, my 61 is parked in the middle of the backyard, Jerrys car is in the driveway, my car is in the neighbors garage and my dining room is my parts department. My wife is definitely looking forward to this! I told her our garage is going to be an average garage when everything gets moved. Nothing car related will be left in it, except our daily drivers.

If anybody is "in the area" please stop by. I need you to haul something to the shop for me! :D

Well, it's late and I have to meet the truck driver in the morning to unload the blast cabinet.

Here is a pic of the signs going up.

IMPALA_SHOP.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Sounds hectic! :crazy (and expensive!) :eek:

If I lived nearby, I'd help you haul. :)

So do 348-409.com members get a 10% off on all restorations? :D

acacg

Well Known Member
Sounds Great man. And i dig the SIGN... and PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO CALL. :crazy Im a call away.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Wow, Brian - I really like your sign and it will make a great business card.. :cool::cool:

I'm looking at retirement, wished I was closer, I'd be over to help. Wish you the best of luck with this adventure, I know you will be sucessful. :bow:cheers

Bill

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
"If anybody is "in the area" please stop by. I need you to haul something to the shop for me!"

OK, I may be by there around the 3rd or 4th.....want me to bring a 61 Impala or a 68 Camaro?
Depends on whether or not I go to my 50th HS reunion in Austin on the 1st and 2nd. After that I go on to Springfield, Mo. to pick up a load of airplane parts......or I skip the reunion and just go to Springfield.:dunno