Tooth's 68 Chevy ll Beater Project

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
True James, and more than once E6732CEC-DD73-46F1-B40B-BFED0E018DB6.jpegF24D19A2-0732-4413-A5BE-D62731AD8DC3.jpegbut my springs are original and they’re starting to sag. I still have traveled downward but not like I need too. I was driving on county roads today and I noticed when the road was a little bumpy it was bottoming out. However that could be a shock adjustment? But the car sits pretty low with not much in the trunk except for a spare a jack and a small toolbox.

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I called Calvert and they said they have a part number for a mono leaf nova. And it will raise the car up to where it was originally when the springs were new. The bump on the springs is at a different rate than factory springs. And it wouldn’t hurt to raise my car up a couple of inches in the back. It’ll give me a little more tire clearance too. The Calvert Springs don’t try to roll up either. The 9 inch from quick performance has Calvert spring perches that are boxed in so they will not roll. Supposed to be good to 1500 horse power. I think I’m safe LOL. Everything should come apart easy though because I’ve had it apart once already And the hardware is all new.:good And I think you probably need some experience of the swap tooooo!!!!!:brow

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tuesday I had a umbilical hernia repair to my belly, it had gotten to where it was really starting to annoy me. Now I have about five weeks of recovery without lifting or straining. Everything seem to of went well thus far. So I’m sitting around looking at my parts books and I’ve decided to have some upgrades on the nova. Calvert two piece mono Springs, gear swap, and hopefully a G force G101A clutch assisted transmission. I also picked up a MSD 6AL box. And James says he has a two-step we can put in which will allow me to put the gas pedal on the floor and dump the clutch and go through the gears. No more truck shifting to keep from killing my super T 10. Leave the line at five grand and shift between 6800 and 7000 rpm pushing for more progress at the machine shop for the 348 stroker motor to get done too. I know Jeff is busy but he sees me getting a little impatient after waiting almost a year for him to get started. But I really didn’t have anything to put it in so I wasn’t in much of a hurry and he knew that.
i’m pretty sure after my first visit to the track with the beater nova they’ll make me put a roll bar in it. I guess that’s OK though want to be safe. 370 gear with 35 spline spool. My 325 gear has a posi for 35 spline axles. All Quick Performance!
6E219EED-DE28-4A04-88EB-A7748AF900C3.jpeg

Last edited:

wristpin

Well Known Member
Had same surgery x2 done a few years ago. Fight the urge to lift or use those muscles. My left heria healed perfectly but the right one has internal scar tissue. That hurts sometimes worse than before the surgery. Your nova is going to be bad ass. I volunteer to pilot it and put up with James's harrassment for you :driver

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like some Saturday It’ll be a good day for a barbecue and heat the shop up with the woodstove. Then commence on the nova. My house has four bedrooms. And lots of family room space with a wood fireplace plenty to keep a crew warm. The freezer is always full. After recovery time to update the Beater Nova.
and yes James the mustang I was wailing on I didn’t own it was one of your customers, :confused all I did was check it out for him and look for weak links :browand I remember putting the gas pedal on the floor and going through the gears and you saying easy now I don’t want to have to put a clutch in this thing. But it survived well. And man was it fun to drive. I believe it was in the early 90s wasn’t it? Fox Body like my Mom’s lol.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Woa, didn't know you were in pain, glad to learn it's correctable :).

Watch out with all that time on your hands, you'll be browsing and buying stuff you never knew you needed :).

Cheers! TomK

Yes Tom, I’ve been in pain for a long time. My fault though. I guess I was afraid to ask for as much time off as I needed to heal. Finally I told my boss I just couldn’t do it anymore and was going to have to do it no matter what the outcome. I don’t know if you noticed for sure or not but the bulge in my stomach was as big as a cantaloupe. I could push it back in but as all hernias it worked its way back out and caused pain. Somedays the fatigue was so bad that I just would lay in bed. But now it’s taken care of and trust me I will not do anything to jeopardize that. It’s kind of nice not having that kind of pain anymore. Now it’s soreness from the surgery I had Tuesday. Two hours on the table. So far all is turned out well and thanks for your concerns, and I can’t wait to get back to working on cars and builds and of course bench racing. Sometimes it would take me two or three evenings to do something I could do in a couple of hours normally. I hope those days are behind me. My wife used to get pretty upset with me:confused:pan:spank I guess I could start taking donations For my boredom shopping.:facepalm

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Here’s a few pictures of the 31 Chevy Coupe that I sold to Jim. He’s trying to get the body fitted to the 31 frame and it’s getting pretty darn close. I told him I was going to put a 31 Ford crossmember in it with the transverse spring and hairpins and he took my lead. He just happen to have a dropped axle from speedway. Just roughing it together now and getting everything measured up.56D6CC06-03C2-4A1B-B4BD-06D53AA769D6.jpegFC1E7B8E-01CD-46D4-AEB7-295E0307D14A.jpeg1AF40AF6-3A23-4539-90F4-74C7B43A7261.jpeg546BDD3A-F62E-4C62-95FD-DC8ACABFCC2A.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well James I know how you like to watch other people spend their money, so here’s a little enjoyment for you and entertainment don’t hurt yourself! The springs arrived the MSD is ready and I dug the aluminum center section out. Time for some upgrades on the beater nova. Need to get ready for the hot rod reunion! This is your call out!14F15ACA-756F-4A17-A3CF-3CB8AA1857A4.jpegABDAB4AA-63FE-4C86-99D9-1CDB0516CE30.jpeg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Possibly Saturday, if no one screws it up for me.:D Got to drive the truck out and move the car over to the lift and then put the truck back in. Plan on putting in the parts for the nova first, then my doors and glass and regulators for the shop truck. I need to stop by and check on my block at the machine shop for the shop truck. As of right now I have no plans other than working on the upgrade parts for the nova at this time for this weekend. Just need to stop by and get some gear lube and some silicone.