Z-11 restoration

Pats 409

Well Known Member
What a great picture of the car in it's glory days, and what a shame it got left out. Anybody know how or why it was left to rot and when it was last driven? Anybody have any current pictures of it?

oil4kids

Well Known Member
That sure is a nice looking Z motor. Just remember that all the horsepower documentation with Chevy dyno runs at the factory were done with 409/425 hp factory exhaust manifolds !!!!!!!! and not the neat Nascar 4 into one headers used on the mystery motor. It still did over 500 hp. Zora A. Duntov who had close ties with the Chevy engineering always wanted a smoother idling camshaft for passenger use which limited more radical camshaft design. I feel A little more overlap and headers would have evened out the horsepower with the mystery motor.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Here is the Z-11 dog leg shifter compared to the stock one shipped with all other cars.
Notice how Chevrolet attempted to improve tg diameter of the shift shaft and the mounting bracket. All this says is that they knew how poor their design was and quite frankly still was!!
Everyone went to a Hurst or something like that.

IMG_1705.JPG

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I had at least one of those thick shaft shifters in my collection…..may still have it. I always thought it was Pontiac.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
That's why I added a Hurst in the Pied Piper. But it now sports a Muncie with reverse lock out T on the handle. The wife couldn't keep from grinding when using the back 'em up mode.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Finally, we are making progress!! Too much stuff getting in the way.
Talked to Dave Colbert a while back and he begged me to get it finished before he gets too old to enjoy coming to see it again.

Frame is powder coated along with most loose parts.
Backing plates turned out great!

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

Z-11 engine just waiting!!!

Ok, just some 409 each for the engine stand

IMG_4355.JPG