Edelbrock Heads

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clyde, Just to be clear, the intake bowl with the yellow light and the ex. bowl with the yellow light are your two completed bowls? If so, do all the rest to match those, however you might want to go a little more conservative with the ex. guides as there is much more heat there. That is very nice work. I see no pictures of the ports and openings but they are childs play to do compared to the labor in the bowls. If you are referring to the little round areas in the ports ( i think that is actually the floors.) that are raised, I have been told those are air shapers that are really important. The aftermarket heads do not have them , so, I take them out. Probably get lots of opinion feedback on that but I do what makes sense to me so I smooth them down flat. I think you have done a great job and it only takes a few minutes,, right ?......... :roll right.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Clyde, you obviously have the jewelers touch! Takes a lot of patience to do that kind of detailed work. My theory is "just do enough to get you where you want to go" in my case mid 11's. Looks like your headed for 10's!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Clyde:

I've got a set of 333s that have had Ronnie Russell's "magic touch" if that would help you visualize a finished product. They are not 690s but might give you an indication of what might be done. I used these as the "pattern" to do a set of 333s for my own build from last year. My effort probably fell a bit short of The Master, but will do for what the build is intended for :).

I'm saving Ronnie's set for another venture!

Cheers!

TomK

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks guys for letting me know that I am on the correct path with my porting work.

Tom, I was in Columbia MO last Thursday & drove by your house and saw the black 409 62-BA in the driveway & it looks nice. When I was visiting a while back you pointed out the 333 heads up on a shelf that have Ronnie's "magic touch". We didn't have time to examine the heads, we were looking for the pistons you sold me for my truck 409.

Ray, I don't think the old 409 powered T-Bird will ever see any where near 10s especially with me driving. At Thompson last year I was parked next to you and I ask you lots of questions about your car & engine and you patiently answered every question --- had I known about your 690 porting job I would have ask even more questions. How did those 690 heads that you ported work out?

Ronnie, you answered a concern that I had about the exhaust valve guide - I was tempted to narrow/cut more but don't want to reduce the heat dissapation from the valve stem into the head material. Thanks for the advice.
On the intake valve guide boss question, I went back over to my laboratory (the barn) and tried to take another picture. (Don't know why the CFL bulb in the tin can with the magnet taped to it appears yellow to my camera.) On the 690 intake valve guide boss the material from the boss extends along the roof/top of the port runner toward the port intake opening sort of a divider. I suppose they tried several intake port designs and that the boss extension serves a purpose - anyone tried modifying it - Edelbrock heads have it?
Wish that I was not so far away from you Ronnie, the pictures are OK but seeing in person is so much better.

When I finish the heads I'll have a good start on parts for a 409 stroker - have a block and wally's Isky cam & lifters. (Just a little problem with $).IMG_5490 (Small).JPG Brace yourselves for questions on good rods & pistons!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clyde, The old rule of thumb is to smooth the floors without changing the contour and raise the roof. Of course the 690s are a good head, as is, so when it comes to the port shape and volume it is best to be conservative. When making a mistake on a 333, just throw it away and re-start. But with a 690 , not so easy to do because of the value of the head. From what I can tell from the pictures, you have the makings of a great set of heads for the future stroker build.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ray, I don't think the old 409 powered T-Bird will ever see any where near 10s especially with me driving. At Thompson last year I was parked next to you and I ask you lots of questions about your car & engine and you patiently answered every question --- had I known about your 690 porting job I would have ask even more questions. How did those 690 heads that you ported work out.

Clyde, with steel wheels, full exhaust under the car (disconnected) open Dougs 1. 3/4" headers, 881 intake with two 600 carbs I ran 12.60s.

Just wanted to update you on the performance increase we received with this ported Edelbrock head. The engine is in a 1959 Impala, weight is around 4,100lbs. Best ET with a ported set of iron heads was 10.98, the best ET with these heads in similar conditions was 10.56, that's about a 75 HP pick up.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance / Mondello Tech Center
708-250-7420

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
If you guys did not notice in Calvin's signature he is now one of the big cheeses at Mondellos since Joe died this year.

"Best ET with a ported set of iron heads was 10.98, the best ET with these heads in similar conditions was 10.56, that's about a 75 HP pick up."
And just think when these were first coming out Ignitionman said they wouldn't be worth using!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
10.56 with a 4,100 lb car is terrific!:clap:clap:clap
Those heads are obviously doing the job.:deal
If the owner lives anywhere near Ohio, we'd love to see him at the 348/409 shootout in June.:beer

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hopefully I will have some numbers soon. :pray
Just waiting for my oil pan and then it is off to the header builder.

My flow #'s were really similar on the intake side. On the exh side I believe I had quite a bit more. I'll dig out my flow sheet and post my #'s

Fred

Fred,
I would still like to see some of your Dyno Number Please

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred,
I would still like to see some of your Dyno Number Please
After Fred ported his the heads I sent him he told me the big number on the intake was 350. The very sad thing is Fred passed away early December. Fred and his wife were at Thompson in 2010 and was really stoked on finishing his motor. Noy sure if he ever got to dyno it. He was a good guy.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob...any more info on Fred's name and where he was from???? That's sad......................

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil I don't remember his last name but he was an engine builder near Lake Havasu. He built blowers for golf carts also. Very knowledgable.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bad news. I didn't know that. I met Fred when I sold him the 61 Bel Air parts car I had. He certainly wasn't that old, in his 40's maybe as I recall.

ggl205

I just finished my first set of Edelbrock 409 cylinder heads. I wanted to share the results and determine if there is a market for a CNC version of this design.

Listed below are the airflow numbers:

Lift Intake Exhaust

.100 86cfm 73cfm
.200 178cfm 121cfm
.300 245cfm 161cfm
.400 283cfm 204cfm
.500 312cfm 242cfm
.600 315cfm 260cfm
.700 310cfm 272cfm

The test was conducted on a Saenz J-600 flow bench using Audie Technology Flow Pro software. The bore size was 4.320" @28".

Thanks.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Calvin:

John Goodman here. If you are interested in a little Engine Professional ink, contact me at john@aera.org.