Edelbrock Heads

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
He runs the Mondello head porting shop now since Mr. Mondello died this past year or so can try there also.

John Goodman

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance / Mondello Tech Center
708-250-7420

Skip, while at Mondello, Calvin ported and flowed a pair of Edelbrock 409 heads for an up coming article in Engine Professional magazine. Flow was done on a stock, untouched set of 690 cast heads for comparison. I haven't spoken with Calvin in a while but I thought he was no longer with the shop. This may just be a case of me assuming something without cureent knowledge. I will give him a call and see.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Be neat to see both sets of numbers.

I know he has some good CNC numbers on some of the various Pontiac heads, and hand porting. Edelbrock, KRE High Ports and the CV-1 canted valve Pontiac head.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd also be interested to see the flow data. I'd try and post it but my email doesn't seem to to be accepting images very well these days. :scratch
John, did you ever manage to make those Dominators fit on the factory intake? I think they'd fit on Lamar Walden's manifold but those manifolds are fairly pricey. :deal
http://www.lamarwaldenautomotive.com/id17.html

John Goodman

Jim, here are two images of the Holley 4500's mounted on a stock GM 409 manifold. Very tight but they fit and linkage works fine.
IMG_7351.jpg

IMG_7536.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Those carbs look pretty good. You can hardly see the manifold! :D
Thanks for posting the head flow numbers.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I tried to fit 2 Double pumpers on my factory intake in the 70s but couldn't they hit too much on the Offy adapters. had to use vacuum secondaries and take off the vacuum pot. Also center squirter #4224s 660 cfms will fit if you trim one of the secondary throttle shafts some. Those Dominators 4500s of just HP 1000s? QUick change jet metering blocks?

Whose linkage is that? Looks better than my old Offy linkage.

How big a file can you upload here? 104 kb is too large but doesn't say what the max is.

John Goodman

Hi Skip:

Carbs are 750 cfm 4500's with modified Weber jet blocks. Linkage is made by Troy Patterson, the guy that did the carbs and fit them to the manifold.

Not sure of file size as I used Photobucket to host images.

John

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
409 engine race B.jpg Looks neat. There is a picture here of my 715s on the motor somewhere. I still may put sideways Holleys on my 470/409 and the Edelbrock manifold,just liek the look better than AFB/Edelbrocks. It has about the same spacing as the 881 intake.
Always wondered if you couldn't adapt a tunnel ran top to an 881 and run the Holleys end to end.
Looks like around 90 KB or so is the limit

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
[

Skip,
The linkage kit is made by Enderle in CA, part# END71-1000 BBC Tunnel ram linkage]

John Goodman

[

Skip,
The linkage kit is made by Enderle in CA, part# END71-1000 BBC Tunnel ram linkage]

Troy Patterson did all the work but likely purchased linkage required from another company. I didn't ask Troy where he got the linkage but BSL409 is probably right. For those interested in what Troy does and how he does it, here is his link http://www.tmpcarbs.net/company_home.html

Skip, I'm with you, I much prefer the look of Holley's to AFB/Edelbrock. The AFB's look rather smallish on the manifold.

John

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My picture is from 1972. We pinned the throttle shafts so all 8 bbls opened at once. You could sure watch the gas gauge go down when you stomped on it! But then premium leaded was only about $0.30/gal.

John Goodman

My picture is from 1972. We pinned the throttle shafts so all 8 bbls opened at once. You could sure watch the gas gauge go down when you stomped on it! But then premium leaded was only about $0.30/gal.

Skip, those were the good days, to be sure. Out of necessity, you were inventive in 72 but we didn't have all the speed options available we now enjoy. So, maybe these are the good old days after all?

To get those two monsters to work at low rpm without stumbling, Troy makes special linkage to open secondary’s slowly. Good for street application and it doesn't hurt WOT track performance one bit.

John

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
NHRA wouldn't like all that rubber hose now adays also. 12.20s @ 108mph-not too bad for a 70,000 mile 340 HP short block and a high school kid!

Luckily I had one of Mallory's first rev limiters when the finky Offy linkage jammed wide open one day! Hit it a couple fo times before I got the key turned off with the clutch in.