Edelbrock Heads

John Goodman

Getting closer.

IMG_1991.jpg

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Careful with the PRW roller rockers. They are rated less than 350 lbs. open spring pressure. Mine failed at the bearings and snapped off a rocker stud.

John Goodman

Careful with the PRW roller rockers. They are rated less than 350 lbs. open spring pressure. Mine failed at the bearings and snapped off a rocker stud.
My springs at full lift are 360 lbs. so within rating for these rockers. Were your rockers aluminum or stainless steel? What was your open spring pressure? Also, at what RPM were you running when the rocker broke?

I have read mixed reviews about these rockers but most of the failures were for aluminum versions failing at the exact location yours did. Additionally, and I am definitely not saying you had this problem, but many engine builders do not set rockers up properly. It is time consuming and can be a little tricky so often just cursory attention is paid. But we will see how these rockers work out. My engine is built not to deliver much more performance over 6K RPM and it will rarely see that.

John

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I also run 360 open and they were SS. The bearings failed on 4 of the 16 and 1 was a complete lockup and snapped the rocker stud off. A friend of mine owns a machine shop and said it looked like too much spring pressure. We looked up the max on their site and it seemed I was over the max by a little. I switched to Crower Aluminum rated for over 500. Just a FYI. Mine failed quite a distance from home and had to be towed home. My PRW rockers were made in China.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
When I first bought them I didn't use them right away. When I went to use them 1 was defective when new. The replacement was slightly different. It's possible yours are an improved design. Just something to keep an I on. All my bad ones were on an exhaust. First sign of problems is pre-ignition from the valve not opening well enough. As they seize up the rocker flexes the stud and does not exhaust correctly.

John Goodman

When I first bought them I didn't use them right away. When I went to use them 1 was defective when new. The replacement was slightly different. It's possible yours are an improved design. Just something to keep an I on. All my bad ones were on an exhaust. First sign of problems is pre-ignition from the valve not opening well enough. As they seize up the rocker flexes the stud and does not exhaust correctly.

Thanks for the heads up, models916. This has me a little concerned now but one thing the manufacturer strongly urged was that after completely washing the rockers, soak them in oil before final assembly. I think this a good idea for any component using needle bearings relying on splash fed oil for lubrication. Like the non roller cam I am using, extra precausion is taken to minimise failure potential. I will keep the thread posted as to reliability. BTW, this car will likely not see much distance. I will be living in Wichita, Kansas when the car is finished. Not too many places to drive out there (LOL).

John

John Goodman

I just installed a degreed SFI harmonic balancer but do not have a pointer on the block. Is there a bolt on pointer that works in this application?

TIA,
John

John Goodman

I also run 360 open and they were SS. The bearings failed on 4 of the 16 and 1 was a complete lockup and snapped the rocker stud off. A friend of mine owns a machine shop and said it looked like too much spring pressure. We looked up the max on their site and it seemed I was over the max by a little. I switched to Crower Aluminum rated for over 500. Just a FYI. Mine failed quite a distance from home and had to be towed home. My PRW rockers were made in China.

models916, I forgot to ask what total lift was on your cam (both intake and exhaust) when the PRW rockers broke?

John

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Here's my cam card. Comp spec'd the cam for the BBC 1.7 rockers.

Attachments

• mycam.jpg
    mycam.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 14

John E. Goodman

The adapter plate is finished, carbs are mounted and linkage has been worked out. The adapter plate also serves as linkage mount. The plate, carbs and linkage can be unbolted in one piece and mounted on another intake. I would like to try one of Bob Walla's new intakes when they are ready.

I hope to start the engine next month.

John

IMG_9897_zps270676d1.jpg

IMG_9906_zps118e8398.jpg

IMG_9902_zpsf102b1fd.jpg

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Pretty bad a$$ adapter! I always wondered if you could cut off the top of those 2" spacers(with a flange top and bottom) and slide the tops apart and reweld and get the Holleys end to end for 4160 styles, or adapt a tunnel ram top. Just noticed the quick change metering block too.

I do think that motor is begging for a bigger cam though!

John E. Goodman

Hi Skip:

You are correct, this engine will take a much more potent cam but the exercise was to get as much street drivability as possible. Those 4150's will offer snappy throttle response at WOT from 2000 rpm without stumbling.

John