55 Chevy !!!!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Are the "moon" tanks mounted up front still NHRA legal or are they just for looks now? I've been holding onto a homemade one for years. Had two and sold the nicer one for $25 like a dummy about ten years ago.

The tanks themselves are still OK but they have to be mounted within the confines of the frame. The guy that owns this car had to add some tubing to make the Moon tank legal.

A lot of guys just use the Moon tank as a rad overflow and run a regular fuel cell in the trunk. As long as it's not holding fuel, there's no problem mounting it in front of the grill.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A lot of guys just use the Moon tank as a rad overflow and run a regular fuel cell in the trunk. As long as it's not holding fuel, there's no problem mounting it in front of the grill.

That is a cool idea. So simple that I'd have not thought of it. LOL I think they are awesome, but still don't think it would look right on a 61.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LOL I have been thinking about trying to make a lighter core support since mine isn't in the best shape anyway. I've seen several people with tubular style or cut-away stock core supports on 61 /62 race cars that turned out nice, but wonder how it would effect cooling? Seems like the core support forces air through the radiator and with it cut away then air could just flow around it instead. :dunno
I've wanted to do a "pull-off" front clip for years. Not a tilt front end, but have it slide onto tubes off the front frame rails and retained with pins or dzus at the back of the hood/fenders. I have seen a few cars done this way that looked almost stock yet it made working on everything SOOO much easier. Already got a pair of fiberglass fenders and a hood....need a bumper (other than the grille guarded VFN one I have now).

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thats pretty^^^

Very glad to hear you still have that 57. I love hearing old gearhead tales from the 60's, but they always end with 'I sold it, wish I still had it....' Congrats on keeping your bitchin hot rod for 40+ years:beer

HEY KEVIN !!! Who you callin an "OLD GEARHEAD "? Thanx for the compliments !!!:D
:crazy:dance:cheers

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I posted a photo of a local racer, Larry, on the first page of this thread. The first photo was taken at Lewistown Raceway. The rest, sorry about the quality, are of his final run for Super Pro Champion in Pomona last November. Not his best day, but he got out of the car without being seriously hurt. He later said, Oh well, I made it to Pomona.

index.php

IMG_2546.JPGIMG_2547.JPG
IMG_2548.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great thread!!! Love the 55 !!! Love the 55 gasser look ! Thanks for posting all these great old photos!!!!:bow

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Kevin.....why aren't pics of your sedan delivery in this thread? (yes I know it's not a 55, but even Brian cheated and posted some 56 & 57's) :D

Brian....hard for you to go wrong with your '55 whether you make some changes like mentioned or leave it exactly as is. Cool car either way.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Hey Kevin.....why aren't pics of your sedan delivery in this thread? (yes I know it's not a 55, but even Brian cheated and posted some 56 & 57's) :D

Cuz she's ugly:D Here's a crappy video. I got owned by that other 56 that night, he beat me 2 out of 3. Cool car to get beat by tho!