62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Junky

Well Known Member
At my age, I might not have 3 years to wait. Guess that I will have to have it repaired locally. I only wish that I had learned how to do this work myself when I was younger. My job in the shop was to take interiors out and reinstall them afterwards. I tried my hand as a painter, but I wasn't good at it, so I became the "sander" when there was no other work for me to do. I have always enjoyed seeing how something was repaired, and had the opportunity to work in a shop that had a lot of very talented guys. That was more than 50 years ago, but I still remember enjoying the work. I can still work on interiors, but a lot slower, and what I used to do in a few hours, now takes me a few days or weeks to do.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Gee your floor looks about as clean as mine, I bet I clean mine about 3 times a day, just sweeping up dust and junk, nice work guys. Im saving up my $$ for those forward Extextions parts you make.
My wheel wells lips were rusted so I cut them out just above the rusted area. The front part of the wheel well had at least 1/2" of dondo on it, not kidding. going to buy the section for this, hoping to get my friend Barry to give me directions of how to fix this. The inner part of wheel wheel is rust free, except the box's for frame bolts. Going to do the other side today, wonder how much bondo is on that side lol.:dohView attachment 79436
The outer wheel house and quarter panel are pretty bad on mine too. I already have the wheel houses and new full quarters hanging in the storage garage awaiting installation.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim... You missed your calling. You should be running a restoration shop with your skills and talents. I have a car with some rust in the lower front fenders... may I send it to you for repair? You don't have to paint it, just fix the metal. Thanks in advance, and the car should arrive in a few day. I will pick it up the following weekend. :D
I sure enjoy this kind of work. Kinda wish I started a restoration business years ago. Maybe someday, it's never too late. :D

bobs409

Administrator
Personally, I don't think I could do it. It's hard enough doing all the hard work to your own vehicles but I wouldn't have as much motivation if it was someone else's car. Not that I wouldn't do a good job, just that I wouldn't want to do it in the first place. :D

Add to that I can feel I've slowed down quite a bit in the past few years. I was just thinking the other day that there is NO way I could do that wrecker project in 3 years the way I did. Still don't know how I managed it. I was really committed! :D

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hey Jim, Im not very good at body work either, Im more of an idea man, how bout, I trailer my body down to your place, it will be all sandblasted, clean as a whisle, you can install those wheel wells and my floors, fix my rockers for me, that way you can make some :winner:applroom in you garage, and make some extra cash $$ to boot? Man I like my idea's.....:dunno2:love

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hey Jim, Im not very good at body work either, Im more of an idea man, how bout, I trailer my body down to your place, it will be all sandblasted, clean as a whisle, you can install those wheel wells and my floors, fix my rockers for me, that way you can make some :winner:applroom in you garage, and make some extra cash $$ to boot? Man I like my idea's.....:dunno2:love

I'm clearing a bay now Stan. ;)

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Jim I hope you have a long drive way, I just have a feeling that your going to have a long line up of cars waiting to take my spot?....:roll I did cut out one side. Im having a hard time the passenger side wheel well replacement sheet metal piece. I have found the drivers side, 114.00 + shipping, but not the other side, any help>? Sherman Wheel Arch Patch

000_0294.jpeg
Before

000_0324.jpeg

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 7

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Stan, I'm not sure who handles the patch panels. Check Cars, Classic Industries, Hubbard's and Summit Racing.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Watch the width of the wheel lip, the repro panels I have seen have much wider lip ( about 1 inch wider) and the shaping at the front of the opening is wrong. I have had my wheel lips cut down to match the original wheel lips.
Also the ridges on the wheel lip are not as sharp as the original panels - I told my body guy make the lip ridges
look like factory ones.
Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Paul for the update, I just ordered a set from Sherman, Wheel Arch,
I'll have to keep in touch with you after I get them. Im taking the 62 up to the
Sandblaster in the morning, so it should be looking nice and clean by the end
of the day. It will be so nice just to get this floor and rocker part finished. I guess you say that about each section as you go, but this has been a huge
undertaking for me. As a friend use to tell me "its no hill" for a climber.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Got the body, 1 inner front fender, and few extras, up to the sand man, he said it would be ready tomorrow at noon. We Barry and I always sealed our cars with DP 74 or 90, but
I have a lot of welding to do, I have heard they have a sealer that you can weld over or through? Spray the whole body with that? or just the area's I might be welding to?
I had to drive about 35 miles up North to Arlington Wa. to the Sand Man, boy was the
traffic ever nice, I guess the Virus has everyone staying at home. I liked the relaxing drive,
but would rather have everyone back to normal and safe again. :pray cash