Rear End Upgrade

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ricky a little warning buddy!If after all these years that car has roamed free in the streets,you decide to coup it up on a trailer,that car is quite likely to get pissed of at you.Gremlins you never dreamed of will appear.Don't do it!:hide
That's funny Don... I'm sure I won't be able to keep it cooped up too much, just going to give it a little break on some of the longer trips.....
Post a pic of the whole car with the new wheels and tires. I might want to get the 7" wheels once seeing that. I like the 6" wheel but it might look better with the 7's
Jason I will get some full shots of the car in the next couple days...

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Show-Cars sells Moser. They used to sell a stock replacement and a race axle with 1/2" studs. Haven't looked lately.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Me and Ray are going to meet up around 79 and the turnpike if you want to tag along on the way to mason dixon

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Me and Ray are going to meet up around 79 and the turnpike if you want to tag along on the way to mason dixon
Will definitely try to hook up with you two Bryan... Might need a head start though.. Not sure if I'll be able to keep up!:poke

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Picked up this little gem yesterday.. Gonna use it in my next project...:cool:

C326A205-AD48-4689-A7B0-5E8F349AE51D.jpg

DB603674-63F6-4DED-AE0B-27B8D896BE98.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rear End Downgrade:
We took the '61 to Quaker City today for the first UMTR race .... It wasn't good. I'm a little embarrassed to post these, especially after it was suggested that I do some more work, particularly in the bearing cap area. :mad I guess I just gotta be stupid and figure things out on my own..:bang

B781F551-0139-47AB-9CAE-B9CF3A983D3D.jpg

25050F89-5935-4C65-9139-8C837CB6D0BA.jpg

F84E99D2-90A0-4A63-8AF2-10B628A7E526.jpg

So now I've downgraded and put the stock axles back in and a peg leg 3:55 until I figure out my next move.. :dunno2
I'm leaning toward giving the stock rear another chance... Upgrading the spider gears since I need axles again anyway,and of course some sort of girdle on the caps..:hide
All thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated and welcome.. I've got some time to decide since I'm broke right now...:laugh2
Rick

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
OUCH, make"s me sick just seeing that , not alone how you must feel.I can relate to that after doing that to my car back in the day ,plus bending the two piece drive shaft.Look"s like a 9"" is in the future.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Rear End Downgrade:
We took the '61 to Quaker City today for the first UMTR race .... It wasn't good. I'm a little embarrassed to post these, especially after it was suggested that I do some more work, particularly in the bearing cap area. :mad I guess I just gotta be stupid and figure things out on my own..:bang

B781F551-0139-47AB-9CAE-B9CF3A983D3D.jpg

25050F89-5935-4C65-9139-8C837CB6D0BA.jpg

F84E99D2-90A0-4A63-8AF2-10B628A7E526.jpg

So now I've downgraded and put the stock axles back in and a peg leg 3:55 until I figure out my next move.. :dunno2
I'm leaning toward giving the stock rear another chance... Upgrading the spider gears since I need axles again anyway,and of course some sort of girdle on the caps..:hide
All thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated and welcome.. I've got some time to decide since I'm broke right now...:laugh2
Rick
Sorry to see the carnage,but.......you are having fun and DRIVING it.........:clap:clap:clap

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
And let's analyze this a little but more...interesting it sheared some teeth off the ring gear. Unless that happened right when the cap broke? Can't say I'm too surprised it shit the cap. Especially with slicks on it. What rpm did you try and launch the car at?

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What axles are those? That is a lot of twist on the left one.
Those are Mosers only been in the car a couple weeks..
Holy shit! Guess those tires work. A think a set of cap girdles would have saved you but those axles look horrible!
Yea Jason.. I'm not impressed.. I'm thinking it twisted when the cap let go?? Could you imagine what a stock axle would look like?? I can't believe my "little motor " would do this..

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And let's analyze this a little but more...interesting it sheared some teeth off the ring gear. Unless that happened right when the cap broke? Can't say I'm too surprised it shit the cap. Especially with slicks on it. What rpm did you try and launch the car at?
I think the teeth got sheered when the cap let go.. This actually happened on the 1-2 shift.. Came out of the hole spinning... 2.00 60'... Ran a 27 second pass at 19 miles an hour... Lol

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Those are Mosers only been in the car a couple weeks..

Are they the race ones Rick?

Steve

Yea Jason.. I'm not impressed.. I'm thinking it twisted when the cap let go?? Could you imagine what a stock axle would look like?? I can't believe my "little motor " would do this..

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm not going to rib you at all Ricky because I know how much that's gotta hurt. Besides I was expecting it to hold up okay for awhile at least.

I know some people are able to get the stock rears to live with a lot of upgrades, but I just can't see spending money on one that could go to an upgraded rear that you won't break until you're making stupid power. Just think how much the parts you broke costs and how far that would go on a 9" swap (or olds/Pontiac....or 12 bolt).