R.I.P. Brian Thompson you have always been a great friend, you will always be remembered.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
you know I had waited a while to post until now. I cant describe how I feel. I am really hurting right now because my friend Brian did not have to go. I cant get over how many times we would talk about his situation. up until now, I never knew how bad his depression had gotten and the text message that he sent me at 5:23 a.m. woke me up and I responded instantly. I will tell you this, Brian was like my brother. I love that crazy fool lol. He was so good at so many different things I swear he was a true jack of all trades.
I lost one of my best friends. I lost a true friend who would jump in the yukon with the trailer in tow to go half way across America to pull an Impala out of a field with me. Our road trips together will never be forgotten. I have tried to 'be cool and strong' but I have folded, broken down and cried more times than I could count.
I remember our trip dropping off the 59 in Phoenix and he took me to meet ol' Sky Dog, lol what a great time we had visiting.
Brian has hundreds of friends in the Lowrider community that are in mourning as we speak. This guy touched so many different lives across the board, crossing "car lines" he truly was one of a kind.
There were times we had our bouts but we were like brothers. We made up, usually traded a couple parts and we were back on track again. He taught me so much. its truly a waste. I pray for his family and his daughter. I just wished I could have done something.
Ronnie, Brian really cared a lot about you. he thought very highly of you. He could not get over that hill that he faced. it was too much for him to handle in his mind. He told us he was closing shop going to Va. but it wasnt till the very end that the truth came out. Our good friend Bob was there til the very end when it happened and I know since he was the last to see Brian, its hurting him too.
All of us who knew him, lost.
He gave me so much shit for my avatar lol, now good buddy you can get some sleep. Love you brother. see you when I get there. I will never forget you.

If it weren't for you Tony, I would of most likely never met Brian. I want to thank you for being a great friend and giving that opportunity to get to know such a great person as Brian. He definitely was your brother, he was always there for you just as you have always been there for him. I know we haven't spoke much since the tragedy, just remember you still have another brother over here.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I also met Brian in person. There is definitely part of him in my build thanks to his willingness to help and share his knowledge. I'm not sure what to say. He did talk about you a lot Skim when he came down. Just sad...

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
the only other picture I have with Brian. and as described by Robert Street a 348-409 mini convention held at a restaurant in Ocean City Maryland. Brian is barely visible on the left with his daughter Brooke and her cousin. Skip is the man next to Brian. at the window on the right is my son Jimmy, my wife Susie, myself, Dick MacKenzie, his wife and her friend. what a loss for ALL of us who knew him. God Bless.
IMG_2372.jpg

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,thats Skip Peterson,paint helper 2.He came down that day I believe with Dick and Joanne ,I was supposed to join all you guys but could not take off work.I know from talking to Dick,Robert and Skip,I sure missed out on a lot of fun that day. John

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been wrestling with whether or not to post this but I guess I should. Last summer Brian showed up here unannounced. That was not like Brian. It is an hour and half drive and Brian always called to make sure I would be home. I could tell immediately that something was very wrong. Brian said he had been to the doctor and was diagnosed with leukemia. I could tell he had not slept . I asked about treatment and he said there would be none. We talked about his dad who had died young. I made him lie down on the couch and he slept for 2 hours. He seemed better and headed home. Did the disease progress recently? I don't know, Brian would not talk of it after that day. I honestly thought Brian was leaving on a road trip to Va. See his mother, then a visit with Dick and Robert. Since the shop was closing, I thought Brian might find some adventure on the highway and improve his outlook. I wished I had a chance to do things differently over the last week. But we don't get do-overs.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for giving us that information ,Ronnie,it just helps all of us to understand.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanx Ronnie, sorry for your (and all of ours) loss. I have posted my picture and condolences to Brooke on his facebook page. Bless Brian and his family in the tragedy and time of Mourning.

bobs409

Administrator
That's sad. Makes you realize just how mortal we are. I can only imagine the fear of getting news like that.

We all need to make the most of our days. :hug

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Seth said that Wednesday was the day the divorce was final.................................

I read Tony's and Ronnie's posts this morning with tears......................................

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
I have been wrestling with whether or not to post this but I guess I should. Last summer Brian showed up here unannounced. That was not like Brian. It is an hour and half drive and Brian always called to make sure I would be home. I could tell immediately that something was very wrong. Brian said he had been to the doctor and was diagnosed with leukemia. I could tell he had not slept . I asked about treatment and he said there would be none. We talked about his dad who had died young. I made him lie down on the couch and he slept for 2 hours. He seemed better and headed home. Did the disease progress recently? I don't know, Brian would not talk of it after that day. I honestly thought Brian was leaving on a road trip to Va. See his mother, then a visit with Dick and Robert. Since the shop was closing, I thought Brian might find some adventure on the highway and improve his outlook. I wished I had a chance to do things differently over the last week. But we don't get do-overs.

Yes, I too knew of this for quite sometime back in 2010 as I recall, Ronnie. Brian had called me and brought it to my attention and I was speechless to say the least. He mentioned that his Doctor indicated that his white blood cell count was off the charts and that Leukemia was most likely what he was going up against. I, of course remained optimistic and said, "Brian, you know these Doctors and tests aren't always accurate". He said, it wasn't certain that it was cancer, and that they were still in the process of doing tests. I could tell by the tone in his voice that he wasn't going to proceed with treatments should it actually be the outcome the tests. I would ask him how he was feeling when we would conversate on the phone and never would he bring up the abovementioned situation. It was always car talk, business and laughs, the typically Brian that I always knew. Damn! I miss him. :(

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I too want to express my heart felt sorrow. I didn't know Brian but when I bought his two carbs I emailed him and thanked him and told him that I too had gone through a divorce and knew what a stressful time it was for him. He emailed back and thanked me for my email. I didn't know (but suspected) that he had other problems. We can not think of what we would do until we are confronted with such problems. My father, who worked hard all his life, did as Ronnie expressed so well, chose to leave on his own terms. At times I feel that there should have been something that I could have done for dad but he did what he though he had to do - the hard work had taken such a toll on his physical strength, and moms passing a month before, that ................

I think Phil's idea of a group drive down the Thompson drag strip with the windows down is a great idea. Perhaps all our cars lined up and parked on the strip with a PA address/tribute/prayer.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tony,
Glad to finally hear from you. I don't know all the details of what was going bad in Brian's life, but I just can't imagine anything that bad. I had a period in my life when depression took over, but it was never bad enough to consider such a thing. I only wish we could have done something to intervene. I know you and Ronnie did all you could.
I wondered why he hadn't been active on the forum since he opened the shop, but assumed that he was too busy to spend much time here. When he did pop up and mentioned his divorce, I guess he was reaching out but in an understated, probabably subconcious way and being guys , we didn't see it.
The last time I saw Brian was just before he opened the shop. I was on a trip back there and met him at the shop for the grand tour while he was working on getting it ready to open. He was all enthused about the new undertaking and with his motivation and skills, including great people skills, I was confident that if anybody could make it work, he could.
What a terrible waste of a wonderfully talented individual.
Long ago, when I divorced my first wife, I gave myself a good talking to and came to the obvious conclusion that I would never give another individual the power to bring me down and that no woman was worth dying for unless I was defending her.
RIP Brian, we will not forget.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Oops, just read Ronnies post about the lukemia. If his white blood cell count was high enough, he could have been going septic and that could certainly affect his mind.
Lost two other friends unexpectedly in March and two guys here at my airport monday in a plane crash and then Brian......somedays I just don't want to get any news.

Why ?
Seems that's what so many people on the "outside" ask in circumstances such as this.
I'm truly sorry to say this.... but THAT pi$$'s me off.
About 10 years go, a close friend of mine, only 28 years old, became overwhelmed. The people who really knew him, understood.
I never for a second, minimized Brian's situation(s). The guys here, who really had the opportunity to know Brian, have been explaining, and really writing some wonderful stuff:D... yes, stuff to put a smile on one's face. Their understanding makes it obvious what kind of friends all these people are/were. This helps the rest of our "family" here, understand too.
Thanks, guys... another reason I'm grateful to be part of this group.

Aubrey

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just a thought what if one of the local guys in Texas were too setup a account of some kind for Brooke and instead of sending flowers we could donate to account??

Skim

Well Known Member
Seth I also talked with Brian about his blood disorder. fortunately for him, it was a controllable form that he kept in control with his meds. Brian has known for years that he had this condition, his father passed away several years ago from leukemia so the chances of having a hereditary blood disorder was something he was familiar with but his diagnosis was not a terminal one according to him. His pain came in the form of several things. His divorce was to go through that fateful day. he had closed the shop, he felt he failed it. he no longer had his home and he no longer had her. In his text he stated how he was "officially homeless, jobless and loveless" - I wish he could have seen those were all temporary.
I can tell you we knew he was depressed for over a year now and we hoped the shop would pull him out of this but he could not focus because he did not want to lose her.
The morning brian took his own life, he posted pictures from his wedding day. it was a last message to her of how much he did not want to lose her. in his last text message to me he explained that he couldnt go on and could not get over her leaving him.
As many times as he talked about "ending it all" I never would have thought he would for the sake of his daughter. I guess until you are in that persons shoes, you never really know how bad it hurts.
Brians viewing will be monday. The info is posted on his facebook page. He will be returned to Virginia and wished to be cremated. Thats all I will speak on from now on. I know he would want us all to continue making the best we can out of life.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I was stunned when I read the first entry to this thread, like many I never met Brian, I did buy some vent window regulators from him not long after I joined this forum. I watched and read how he got the 62 together the first time and only to get T boned. Then with dogged determination rebuild it a second time to an outstanding finish.
These are some of the little things plus all the images the guys that really knew Brian have posted, show just how good he really was, they say only the good die young, in Brian's case I am sure this is true.

To his closest mates, in these matters there would have been nothing you could have done to prevent what happened.

Remember all the great things you done together, all that gold you found and dragged home, all those jokes and one liners, all those beers and BBQ's, all the bullshitting and great knowledge shared, the cruising and racing, and the overall companionship of a good friend.

RIP Brian.